Marathon Digital Holdings (formerly Marathon Patent Group) is a patent holding company that is the parent of Uniloc, known as a patent troll company. Marathon purchased patents related to encryption in the 2010s and in 2021 it was known for its purchases of bitcoin and bitcoin mining equipment and a joint venture to use 37 MW from the Hardin Generating Station Montana coal plant to power an adjacently-constructed Marathon bitcoin data center.
Marathon has several subsidiaries:
- Communications LLC,
- Sarif Biomedical, LLC,
- Sarif Biomedical Acquisition LLC,
- Marathon Advisors SA,
- Dynamic Advances, LLC,
- TLI Acquisition Corp.,
- CyberFone Systems, LLC,
- Signal Ip, Inc.,
- Synchronicity IP GmbH,
- Motheye Technologies, LLC,
- Medtech Group Acquisition Corp,
- Loopback Technologies, Inc,
- TLIF, LLC,
- IP Liquidity Ventures, LLC,
- Soems Acquisition Corp,
- Hybrid Sequence IP, Inc,
- E2e Processing, Inc,
- Continental Resources Acquisition Sub, Inc.,
- Relay IP Inc,
- OrthoPhoenix, LLC,
- Marathon Group S.A.,
- Sampo IP LLC,
- Vantage Point Technology, Inc.,
- Marathon Ventures S.a.r.l,
- Bismarck IP Inc,
- Loopback Technologies II, Inc,
- Selene Communication Technologies, LLC,
- Magnus IP GmbH,
- TLI Communications GmbH,
- Traverse Technologies Corp.,
- 3D Nanocolor Corp.,
- IP Liquidity Ventures Acquisition LLC,
- CRFD Research, Inc.,
- PG Technologies SARL,
- Marathon Crypto Mining, Inc,
- MedTech Development Deutschland GmbH,
- Marathon IP GmbH,
- ^ Mullin, Joe (2017-06-06). How one patent troll is desperately trying to stay in East Texas. Ars Technica. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- ^ Crecente, Brian (2012-07-23). Uniloc founder says hes not a patent troll, reacts to disgusting Minecraft fan emails. Polygon. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- ^ Randewich, Noel (2021-02-10). Musks bitcoin bet fuels gains in companies already invested. Reuters. Retrieved 2021-02-10 – via www.reuters.com.
- ^ Crush the Crypto Market with Marathon Patent Group. 2021-02-05. Retrieved 2021-02-10.
- ^ Bitcoin miner Marathon signs for coal-fired electricity in Montana. www.datacenterdynamics.com. Retrieved 2021-08-05.
Bitcoin mining company Marathon Patent Group has announced plans to build a specialized Bitcoin data center in Montana. The facility will use cheap coal-fired electricity, backed by utility Beowulf Energy, which will take a stake in Marathon. In the joint venture, Beowulf gets part-ownership of Marathon, but Marathon keeps the Bitcoin output from a data center that will use an estimated 37MW of power from Beowulfs 119MW Hardin Generating Station in Big Horn County, Montana. Marathon will pay $0.028/kWh for the energy, which is about a quarter of the average US domestic rate of around $0.11/kWh.
- ^ Ostroff, Caitlin; Spegele, Brian (2021-05-21). Bitcoin Miners Are Giving New Life to Old Fossil-Fuel Power Plants. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 23 May 2021.
- ^ Subsidiary Listing :: Marathon Patent Group (MARA). Marathonpg.com. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
Tell us about you
Find us at the office
Czerniakowski- Abodeely street no. 60, 49490 Hamilton, Bermuda
Give us a ring
+11 189 505 54
Mon - Fri, 11:00-22:00